Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Indie Mix

Can I play the Indie mix game?  This is admittedly my weakest genre.  If this was school indie would be my math class.  Actually that's not right, because I don't hate indie music.  When I think of indie music I don't shut off my brain and rock myself to sleep while cowering in the corner, numbers on the other hand do elicit that type of reaction from me.  I guess it's just not my speciality, I am sort of a rookie, these are uncharted waters for me.

Like the pop princess folk music I bump, the indie music I rock carries with it that same easily digestible pop sensibility.  This is not abstract at all, you don't need to listen 40 times to understand what's going on.  It has depth, I am not saying it doesn't but it's also pretty.  It's easy listening.  It's more folk than anything.  Check out some samples.


Peasant is Damien Derose.  He is from the sleepy town of Doylestown, Pennsylvania, population 8000.  Which could be the reason he is on that sleepytime, folky, indie, acoustic, type vibe.  Whatever the reason, I am feeling him...no homo.


 Peasant- Well Alright


Peasant- The End


Damian Jurado is from Seattle has been getting down since the late 90's.
He is smooth, check him out.
Wiki wiki whaat!!












Damian Jurado- Arkansas


Midnight Masses are dope.  They just seem really well oiled, a nice solid band.  Great vocals, great arrangements, great music.  A bit slow but just chill out and let them soothe you.















Midnight Masses- Walk On Water


Bowerbirds are from Raleigh North Carolina.  They remind me of a lot of groups I like from Portland.  Sort of a melancholy tone to some sweetly alluring lyrics and sound.  Pretty, depressing, stripped down, and most importantly purdy.

 













Their space
Bowerbirds- The Marbled Godwit


Harper Simon..I bet he hates this...is Paul Simon's son. Sorry dude that's kind of hard not to mention.  But hey your Dad was good, it's not like he was say...Kenny Loggins, you're good.  I like him, still in that folky, acoustic wheelhouse, just well put together tunes. His space














Harper Simon- Wishes and Stars


All of these and then some are located huurrr
Indie Mix 1-14-10

No comments:

Post a Comment