Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PostDoc Jams

After a two month hiatus during which yours truly finished his doctorate, I'm back with an assortment of indie rock tunes I've been enjoying as I put the finishing touches on my academic opus. I've been checking out a lot of this new California surf/garage-pop, e.g. Best Coast, Dum Dum Girls, & Wavves. It's very low-fi and noisy, but the melodies are classic 60s pop. I've also thrown in a couple songs from the new albums from Arcade Fire and The Walkmen. I really did not like the last Arcade Fire LP, but this one is pretty solid (though they still get a little too Bruce Springsteen at times). You'll also find a few songs from The National, who have provided the soundtrack to my summer thus far. The rest of the stuff is more randomly selected: Ariel Pink (his latest album is really good, though I heard his recent show in SF was a disaster), The Morning Benders (cuz they rule, and they're playing at the Fillmore 10/16), Leonard Cohen (nuff said), The Shins (hard to find Squeeze cover), and Girls (this whole album is pretty solid, and the lead singer's whole ex-cult-member back story is nuts). Anyway, I hope to be posting more regularly from this point on, so feel free to suggest stuff you'd like to hear more/less of.

Enjoy.

PostDoc Mix

2 comments:

  1. Nice!! Congratulations man..err I mean Dr. I'll have to grab this later, sounds like my kind of stuff. I got tickets to that Morning Benders show, you guys going?

    ReplyDelete