Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Soul Mix 10

Hey!! Wake up and flip the record!! This is a soul mix guurl this isn't slow jams for seniors. Wake yo ass up!!
Damn it's been a bit since I put together a soul mix. This shit used to be my bread and butter too. But lately, I have been all about getting my indie on, all consumed by ill fitting beanies, tight pants, and weekly trips to the Farmer's Markets. Thus leaving my original love to wither and die like a sunchoke on the vine...do sunchokes grow on vines?...no, no they do not. Shit...uhh, save the heirlooms!!...no? That won't get me enough cred?...damn it. *Hands over urban farmer card* Screw your vegan mexican food, I'm going to Taco Bell.

Enough of those hipster elitists, we're back in the soul saddle, so giddy up. Download it here. Or hit the jump for samples, the whole tracklist and non-judgmental consumption of in-organic, toxic orange, nacho cheese chalupas.

Ben L'oncle who was mentioned in this eye candy post. Peppers this mix with two joints. I recommend getting his whole album, because...it's really good. Do you need more of a reason than that? Check out this track that will be on the mix.


Ben L'Oncle- Come Home

There are two sort of un-Otis like Otis Redding songs on the mix. I don't know why they sound un-Otis like to me, it could be the tempo and the rhythm, or maybe it's the backing band and girl group back up vocals. I am actually unsure what year these come from, if this is even stuff from his days at Stax, is that Booker T. and the MG's behind him or what the deal is. I do know that they are good songs.


I didn't grow up listening to the Delfonics, apparently all of the hip hop artists that I did grow up listening to did. The Fugees took the whole chorus for, "Ready or Not" from them, Lauryn then used their chorus for, "Walk Right Up To The Sun" on the Nas collabo, "If I ruled the World" and Biggie sang parts of their song, "Hey! Love" on one of his songs off of, "Life After Death." That's probably just the tip of the iceberg but it goes to show what an impact these guys had on hip hop producers and creators from my youth.



Bobby Womack, the man who married his mentor, Sam Cooke's wife after he died, and also wore the clothes out of Sam's closet...kind of weird. Manages to soulify a Sinatra swing standard, "Fly Me To The Moon." I wouldn't have thought it was possible, but Bobby done did it and the proof is on this mix.


Bobby Womack- Fly Me To The Moon

Hmm...yeah...no comment.
Al Green's 1967 song with the Soul Mates titled, "Back Up Train" is yours for the taking.  This was before his chart topping efforts that were to come in the next couple of years.  It's a pretty solid jam and doesn't Al Green and the Soul Mates just sound like something you should be listening to?









I also threw on a couple of covers from Mayer's free cover album, "Impressions." This originally dropped back in May, online at Rolling Stone's website.  The included tracks are, The Festival's, "You've Got The Makings of A Lover" and the Isley Brother's, "Work To Do."


Tracklist
1. Ben L'Oncle- Demain J'Arrete
2. Mayer Hawthorne- Work To Do
3. Otis Redding- Direct Me
4. Ruby Andrews- Hey Boy (Take A Chance On Love)
5. Bettye Swann- Make Me yours (Original 7")
6. Mayer Hawthorne- You've Got The Makings Of A Lover
7. Lee Fields- Expressions Theme
8. Sam & Dave- When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
9. Raphael Saadiq- Good Man
10. Charles Bradley- The World (Is Going Up In Flames)
11. Bobby Womack- Fly Me To The Moon
12. Martha & The Vandellas- You've Been In Love Too Long
13. Doris Troy- What'Cha Gonna Do About It
14. Otis Redding- Gettin' Hip
15. The Pyramids- I'm The Playboy
16. Sonji Clay- I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face
17. Al Green & The Soul Mates- Back Up Train
18. Ethics- Think About Tomorrow
19. Delfonics- I'm Sorry
20. Lee Fields- These Moments
21. Brothers Of Soul- A Lifetime
22. Delfonics- Ready Or Not Here I Come (Can't Hide From Love)
23. Charles Bradley- Lovin You, Baby
24. Delfonics- Walk Right Up To The Sun
25. Brenda & The Tabulations- Dry Your Eyes
26. Reverb Ltd.- Please Love Me
27. Ben L'Oncle- Come Home
Grab the mix here.

No comments:

Post a Comment