Monday, December 12, 2011

Greybush Gift Guide

I warned you this was coming. Because some of you, I won't name names *cough-Moira*, make terrible choices when it comes to gift giving, (no one wants your homemade paper towel roll sculptures) this year I came up with a list of places to find some cool things. Personally, I won't be buying anything for anyone this year, because I already gave myself the greatest Christmas gift of all...debt. So, please don't get me anything off of this list, instead use it to spread cheer amongst yourselves.






































Are any of you big fans of The Swell Season?  I wouldn't say I am a big fan, but I do like this poster.  I was just thinking if you happened to be a big Swell Season fan then this would be awesome for you.  How about Ray Lamontagne?  For me not so much, at least not enough to own the gig poster.  I think it's extremley well done though.






































Andrew Bird?  I love me some Andrew Bird.






































Anyway, these are all just examples from a site that we have discussed before, Poster Cabaret.  They have art prints, gig posters, tons of stuff.  The range of bands is extensive, the styles of art are eclectic.  It could be your one stop shop for the music/art lover in your life.  Hit the jump for more art sites and gift ideas.

This is an amazing print by Amy Ruppel, titled "Japan Rising."  The outline of the tress mimic the island of Japan and the background has a pink tinted rising sun.  Really great piece. It's available at her shop here for $40.



















Amy's whole shop is pretty amazing, if you are not a Japan lover perhaps you will be enticed by California.  Check out her whole shop here.
Two nice minimalist movie posters from Monster gallery.  There are a lot more to choose from as well.
Travel posters by Anderson Design Group.  Check them all out here.
Love this one by Kevin Dart as well.  Grab it from his shop for $30 here.
Christopher David Ryan does simple pared down design work and does it well.  Go peruse his print shop here.
It's damn near impossible to show the range of artists and prints available at Gallery Nucleus.  So head on over there and take a look.  The piece above is by Edwin Ushiro, who rules, the piece below is by Tadahiro Uesugi.  Check out all of their prints here.

Poketo has everything, housewares, art prints, clothing, even hipster cameras.  They are a  nice little homegrown company that is worth supporting.  Check out their site here.
Clothing from Poketo.
The Quiet Life clothing brand does simple design well.  Great looking clothes with  striking colors .   I also just love the name of the brand..The Quiet Life..sounds nice doesn't it?  Check their line out here.
Scotty Albrecht does great things with wood and fonts.  Although none of his more substantial wood pieces are currently available he does have some prints of his simple font work available here.
Oaklandish makes East Bay centric clothing.  Perfect if...you live in the eastbay.  Check em out here.
We have featured Like Minded People Clothing before on the blog.  These guys also happen to be an East Bay centric clothing line.  I know that these make excellent gifts.  I feel like whenever I wear one of their shirts I get compliments.  So if you want people to oogle you, you should outfit yourself with some of their gear.  It's all available here.
Yo, I have been feeling this shirt since it first dropped.  Guaranteed conversation starter  for people with good taste in music.  Really that's the only kind of person you should be talking to anyway.  Adapt is Bay Area influenced clothing with some solid designs.  Support them by going here.
This is sort of a catch all.  The Giant Peach carries a lot of the brands already posted as well as a lot of brands I should have posted.  They also carry a lot of the music previously posted...ON VINYL!!!  They could really be your one stop shop, for art, music, books, and clothing.  I think I have mentioned them a bunch of times on here, but they are seriously a great resource.  They are also based in Oakland..so there is that.  I also love them and have been using them for years.  Spend hours on their site by clicking here.
Our friends at Type.lites make eco-friendly delicious smelling candles.  Key word smelling, the Bartlett pear does not actually taste like pear...or so I have heard. *rinses mouth out for 53rd time*  They have new holiday fragrances perfect for the uh...holiday season.  You can buy directly from them on their etsy here, or check out their site to see where you can buy them from a local retailer.
We have discussed Lil Tuffy on the blog before, actually in the same post that we first mentioned Like Minded People's clothing line. Well every year he has a show at local Oakland frame shop, Kuhl Frames , and it's that time of year again. Lil Tuffy has about 7,000 different styles and works with everyone from KRS-One to Sonic Youth. Check out his gallery of work here and head into Kuhl frames to see and buy the work in person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment