Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I Have Seen That Guy Before


I am sure you have seen these on tv. They are super catchy. They are actually pretty well crafted pop jingles. They aren't quite as memorable as Paul from the Diamond center, but that's just because it doesn't have a group of women straining under the weight of their totalitarian boss while, "I'm A Credit Man" plays.

The reason I bring up the Diamond center commercials is because I got sidetracked and those were the most memorably horrible commercials from my youth. The reason I bring up the free credit report commercials is because I recognized the singer. If you have downloaded any of our indie mixes you might just have him on your ipod as well. When I first saw the commercial I thought hey that looks like...nah...that would be super random. Wasn't I just talking to that guy at a merch table? It must just be someone who looks like him.

My curiosity got the better of me after repeated viewings and a simple google search revealed that he was in fact who I thought he was. The singer in those commercials is Daniel Zott...one half of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. In the commercials it is his band called the Victorious Secrets. Apparently there was a contest to find a new band for the commercials and they won. Other blogs have commented on how funny it is that Dale's album is called, "It's A Corporate World." That blog doesn't fault him though, you can't really. They do say that their publicist denied that it was him, which was funny. I don't think anyone is mad, because I doubt Dale's sales are filling up his bank account and with the residuals from these commercials that will probably be less of a concern. Now he can focus on his own projects and hopefully be financially stable. I am past the stage of being angry at people selling out, because like David Cross discussed here, you can't buy a house on hipster credibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment