Thursday, February 25, 2010

Coming Soon: Soul Mix 2

This is a new feature called coming soon. We post tracks off of upcoming mixes and gush over them. If you were walking by me in the mall and I was working at Panda Express, when I held out the toothpick and said, "Sampo." This song would be what you would receive, if you were to in fact take the toothpick from my rubber glove encased hand. It's a sample of what's to come. This song is off of Soul Mix 2.

"Big Chief part 2," by Professor Longhair is the fucking jam. From the jump it's got me interested. Then the raucous drums that come in after that piano are like whoa. Nitro, might flow, nice clothes like whoa!! You had me at piano. Add another layer on top of that with the horns and it's getting real funky. Then the Professor comes in and does a smooth ass delivery just riding all over that shit. The phrasing is what does it for me. When he stretches that last part of the word out it just fits right there, the delivery is so effortlessly smooth. It just hits right for me. Granted his delivery is racist as fuck but uhh if we think about it more of like a flow style maybe it takes away that stigma? Say a modern day emcee stepped to the mic and decided he was going to just phrase stuff differently. The verb first followed by the subject or think of his "me" as Juvenile's "Ha." Or like Zumbi in Zion-I's, "Soo Tall."

Make some lovin', keep it cookin
Cookin keep it, come on peep it
Love's the reason, we all need it
Needed are we, Robert Marley
Said one love now it's time to party
Get on down like Gras de Mardi
Love to each and everybody
Everybody love to each
Try to hear you with that speech
Cause life is harder than a peach

When you view, Professor Longhair's phrasing on "Big Chief pat 2" as an awesomely smooth stylistic choice....what you do is....justify a horribly stereotypical racist representation of Native Americans. Haha sorry guys, that shit sounds good though right? The Professor just made a head nodder, I can't help it. It gets the Jay gas face, it's disgustingly heated.






1 comment:

  1. "Nitro, might flow, nice clothes like whoa!!"

    Black Rob huh...

    ReplyDelete