Thursday, March 11, 2010

Audience Participation: Common vs. MURS




















Chris and I have been wondering how many readers we have; we're guessing it's somewhere between three and six (depending on whether we count Chris, Tim and I). So I've decided to start this new thing called Audience Participation to trick you sneaky audio perverts into revealing yourselves. I'll be pitting a couple songs together and hopefully you, the loyal and faithful fan, will tell us what you like better.

Kicking off this first song battle is Common's Testify against MURS' I'm Innocent; both of which sampled Honey Cone's Innocent Until Proven Guilty. While I think Common's production is a little tighter, lyrics like "you(re) cold coffee, wet cigarettes; I'm a shot of espresso and hot morning-sex" make MURS' version a tough contender.

In my opinion, the real star of this post is the Honey Cones track. Yeah, yeah. I know I her version wasn't in this ocatagon of audio death, but she's some how come flying in like Super Fly Jimmy Snuka off the top turn buckle.














The story, the vocals, the tempo changes and the violin solo make this song truly unique and it's no wonder why so many artists have sampled this song. Time to dust off that big foam-middle-finger of mine that says "INNOCENT".

So , back to my trickery, er, "poll". Who wins this song battle, Common? Murs? or *gasp* Honey Cone?

Common - Testify


MURS - I'm Innocent


Honey Cone - Innocent Until Proven Guilty




Jeffro "the Junkyard" Dog

3 comments:

  1. The Og is pretty dope. I have to go with the homie Murs though. Him and 9th together can't lose. The Og is a very close second and Common is dead last because of song concept, and, "Smoking Aces." Also because I don't want to bump that one on the regular. *C-Walks out of frame*

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ignore the Coca Cola commercials and the aforementioned "Smoking Aces" - I vote for "Testify" - Like the beat more than "I'm Innocent"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Honey Cone wins the overall battle. Unfortunately, I have to admit I like Kanye's "Testify" beat, better than 9th Wonder's "Innocent". Maybe I'm just happy Kanye keeps his mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete