Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Musical Wanderings Of a Baby Bush pt 2

Episode One

Somewhere along the way I started listening to rap, my favorite rapper was Young MC.  My mom approved of this because Young MC did not cuss and he had songs about Principal's Offices.  Kind of like how my mom also approved of Macguvyer because, "He doesn't use a gun he uses his brain."  Watch it nerd. *Points at Mom again*  I bumped the shit out of this album. I could to this day still get down with, "Pick Up The Pace."  "Rock and roller/ Coca Cola / Hot like soda/ Rollin' like a boulder."  What the fuck does hot like soda mean?  I think you are doing it wrong Young.  "Soo you take the coke, put it in the sun, leave it for a couple of hours, then when it's done you shake it up and open it right?"  Maybe he was just like a young kid friendly version of Damon Dash.   I just listened to the song and whoever posted those lyrics online was off, I think he says hot like solar, which makes more sense.

Young MC- Pick Up The Pace


More music after the Jump




Cool J, Hammer, The Fresh Prince, Heavy D and Vanilla Ice got some play from me, Digital Underground, I guess this was around 1990 so I was a little eight year old and these were the main dudes on the scene.  I would walk around with my Walkman on getting down to my tapes.  Kriss Kross was the shit and I am pretty sure Milli Vanilli was on the scene.  I was bumping some KSFM, our local hip hop and R&B station, along with my oldies shit.  "It was me Shiro and the homies/ A Lighter Shade of Brown (On a Sunday afternoon)."  Yeaaah shit like that, I had to look up those lyrics because I think in my head I combined, "Call On Tyrone" with the Lighter Shade of Brown song, I thought it was me Tyrone and the homies, who the fuck is Shiro?  This is entering the time where whatever I heard on the radio or saw on MTV was automatically awesome.  At this age taste becomes dictated by the billboard charts and whatever the corporations wanted to hammer into our little non-opinionated domes.  All-4-One?  Oh yeah those guys rule....yeah, no they don't.

All-4-One- I Swear


Things sort of changed in 4th grade, you know what dropped then?  The fucking, "Chronic" son!!!  Uhhhhhhh na, nah, nah naaah.  As soon as I heard it I was swigging on 40's and punching ho's in the mouth, shit changed my life fer reaaaal!!  Ok maybe not.  I was just fed the videos on MTV shit was all over the radio AND they cussed.  OMG mother would not be happy to know what is in my headphones right now.  Soooo rebellious.  The dudes had flow though and the album is legendary.  This is where I get a little blurry though.  I must have been into this type of stuff for a little bit.  But I can't recall what tapes I was buying.  I can picture Weezer, Offspring, Aerosmith and Tom Petty but that seems like it came a little later.  I know Warren G was up in the mix though.  Mount up!!


Warren G and Nate Dogg- Regulators



Next Episode: Rocker or Rapper

No comments:

Post a Comment