Monday, March 29, 2010

The Musical Wanderings Of a Baby Bush pt. 3

Episode 1
Episode 2
So I dabbled in the rappity hop for a bit but then I entered my cocoon and emerged a "rocker" with requisite Kurt Cobain hair.  *Tucks bangs behind ears*  Party on Garth.  I was getting down with the grunge, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, basically anyone who was on MTV and VH1. 

Nirvana- Love Buzz

The Beatles, Hendrix, The Doors, Aerosmith,behind the jump.



In 6th grade my favorite band was Aerosmith.  I thought I was cool because I bought, "Toys In The Attic."  Shit's old school dude, learn your history!!!  There is sooo much more to them than, "Janie's Got A Gun" the rest of the 6th graders just stared at me blankly.  Rightfully so, I didn't know shit about shit.  Alicia Silverstone was fucking hot in those videos though, I knew that much.


 One of the worst movies of all time.
















Wow, someone is holding up well...











 

Aerosmith- Dream On


Aerosmith- Walking In The Sand



Entering 7th and 8th grade I was firm in my stance as a, "rocker."  You were either a "rocker" or a "rapper."  As a "rocker" I lost the ability to appreciate rap, the same rap I had been bumping a mere two years ago.  I would say why don't they sing, anyone can rap, they need more music in their songs.  Rap sucks!!  Don't even try and get near me with any of your R&B bullshit.  I did start to listen to music that I am not as embarrassed about around this time though.  You know classic stuff, like Queen!!!  I bought Jimi, didn't appreciate him.  Couldn't follow his guitar solos, thought his voice could stand to improve.  I felt the same way I do about DJ sets or DMC battles.  I am sure what you are doing is super technical, difficult and impressive, but it just doesn't sound that great to me.  Good job though.  I was young and hey at least I was trying.  I still had the Jimi poster so I could fool people.

Jimi Hendrix- All Along The Watchtower



I got into the Doors, they still lost me on some of their eight minute long organ extravaganzas but I found stuff that was more easily digestible, bought my poster, read a biography, tried to act like I had been with them since the 60's.










The Doors- Touch Me


The Doors- Peace Frog


 The Beatles got a harder look from me, I moved past, "Can't Buy Me Love" and away from the top 12 greatest hits.  Digging a little deeper, like all the way into the top 30 hits.  I remember thinking that, "In My Life" would be a great eighth grade graduation song.  Yeah more like a funeral song, stupid ass kid.  You haven't loved and lost at all, when I was your age, I....was you, damn it.  I think I started off thinking Paul was the best Beatle.  The crafter of some of the best poppy love songs ever still gets respect from me, but I think in my older age I am more of a George fan.  "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Clapton, can you top that?  That was almost a, "Teen Witch" reference, whew that was close.  "Something" is super solid, one of the best love songs ever.  It's really hard to argue which Beatle was the best, well it's easy to sat Ringo was the worst, have you heard the songs where they let him take the vocals?  Que Ridiculo!!       










But as for the rest of them Paul, George and John were legit.  "I've Just Seen A Face," "Yesterday" just to name a couple of the really good solid pop songs they crafted.  Timeless stuff.

The Beatles- I'll Follow The Sun


The Beatles- Something


The Beatles- In My Life


The Beatles- While My Guitar Gently Weeps



I guess this is where I started to mix the old school with the new.  I was rocking out to Jimi but still had that Smashing Pumpkins, Doors followed by Rage Against the Machine, I was just becoming more eclectic in my taste.  At least in my little "rocker" bubble." *tucks bangs behind ears*  We did that a lot back then.

Next up: High school- Ruff Ryders and the Rat Pack

No comments:

Post a Comment