Wednesday, March 24, 2010

MURS: The Hardest Working Man in Hip Hop



















Somebody please give MURS a tub of hair relaxer and a comb because he is "the hardest working man in show business". After a slight hiatus from his Warner Brothers deal, MURS is back and with a fury. He'll be dropping 10 albums, in 10 months, each with 10 tracks. The first album, titled Fornever is produced by the 9th Wonder and scheduled to release on March 30th. The MURS and the 9th wonder; a combination as classic as peanut butter and jelly, biscuits and gravy, sex and candy. The first single, 3:16 Part 2, is basically a story of all that happened between their original collaboration in 2004 and where they are now.

Hear that track and More behind the jump.








I love this single as it's got so many little one liners that reference different points in MURS' career.
"The 9th edition seemed hard to top, we got revenge by going to the barbershop. It's funny how it come around ya'll. I'm still the Maker of that Underground Raw. Shit, i ain't forgot that I'm a legend, and I know where I come form and I know where I'm headed."

While the average listener may just consider rap mumbo-jumbo, this verse is packed with so much heat and is filled with inside jokes.

He references Barber Shop from the album "Murray's Revenge", produced by 9th. This was their second album together and if you're a fan of fresh kicks, his opening line from Barbershop is going to make you chuckle. How he breaks up the acronym M.U.R.S. over two different sentences is also really crafty and he throws out a reference to his crew the Living Legends in there as well.

Barbershop from the album "Murray's Revenge"


Talk about packing a lot of heat in one punch. That's just how the hardest working man in Hip-Hop does it. But I don't need to tell you how hard working MURS is, he tells you himself in his track
God's Work. Aside from clever one liners MURS is also a great story teller. Listen to him explain the life of a broke independent artist who "works hard, to keep this roof over my(his) head, and pay off his credit cards".

God's Work
from the album "...The End of the Beginning"


I couldn't help but make a mix of my favorite tracks that MURS has recorded over the last 6 years and I can't wait to make a new mix with tracks from his upcoming 10 albums.

Download it here: MURS Mix


Bonus:

Looks like MURS just dropped a new single directed by Estevan Oriel; shot with what looks like a Helga filter.



Bonus pt 2:


So I was talking to my buddy Kelvin, who does A&R for Cherrytree/Interscope and he told me about this remix that a group he represents (Far East Movement) did for MURS. The Far East Movement will be on tour with Lady GaGa in Japan (she's also signed to Cherrytree/Interscope). Check out the video and click on their link to show some love! If you like LMFAO or Lady GaGa, you should like their stuff (that means NOT you Greybush).



In case you don't read the posts and just pilfer music off of this site....

Download the mix here (again): MURS Mix


Jeffro

1 comment:

  1. What makes you think I wouldn't appreciate the musical stylings of the genius that is GaGa. It's not like just the name alone makes me want to punch a starving orphan in the throat. OMG did you see the lobster she wore on her head, SOO FIERCE, SOO FAB, SOO REVOLUTIONARY!1!!11 *grabs closest thing on desk and puts it on head* I want to be just like her/it.

    ReplyDelete