Monday, May 10, 2010

The Goods

Shout out to a friend of a friend, Jaime Tibbetts.  Jaime, who is a Berkeley High graduate, runs Like Minded People.  Like Minded People makes awesome shirts.  I have been rocking the Marvin Gaye and one of the Oakland ones for a couple of years now.  Support your local small businesses and check out his goods here.


Behind the Jump, beautiful art that will make you *weep.

*tears not guaranteed, no refunds upon entry, risk of karate chop to the thorax if upon entering you do not declare your presence vocally.





WHEN ART AND MUSIC COMBINE!!!  THEY CREATE THE UNSTOPPABLE FORCE KNOWN AS...DUN, DUN, DUN....A GIG POSTER!!!  I don't know why I am yelling.  Gig posters are a tricky thing for me.  It goes back to that Ian Johnson dilemma, I love the art but do I love the band, or musician enough to have them up on my wall?  Usually the answer is no but this Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings poster seen here has the image and band love thing going on for me.  The perfect combination of looks great, love the shit out of the band.  Plus points if it's for a venue in your city or a show you went to.  Shit's heaterz!!  Done by Methane Studios it is available here.  


















Here are some more that have the image thing going for me but I can't say that I would take a bullet for the band. I may enjoy their music, but I am not willing to make such a strong proclamation. They all come from Vahalla Studios, which is undeniably a solid design studio. Super clean aesthetic, throw back old school animation styles, poppy iconic visuals representing great musicians...and some not so great musicians. Peruse their store here.




This Bon Iver poster, was done by Andy Vastagh. You can see more of his work for sale here.















Jason Munn aka The Small Stakes, did the posters below.  I really like the She & Him, one.  I don't really like She & Him enough to buy it.  Maybe you do.  His personal shop is here and he has more at Poster Cabaret right here.




















Lil Tuffy who had a show at Kuhl Frames a couple of months ago, has about 7,000 different styles and works with everyone from KRS-One to Nickleback...ok I made that Nickleback part up...I hope.  Check out his gallery of work here.  Awesome stuff, now go find yourself a poster for your favorite band that has an image you love and get something up on your depressing plain walls.  Ladies don't like depressing plain walls, they also don't like posters of Nickelback or your old Swingers posters.  I know, I know, great movie, but it's time to play grown up and get some art.  This is a good way to start.    


No comments:

Post a Comment