Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In Remembrance of Ella

Today is the anniversary of Ella's passing.  If she was alive today she would be 93 years old.  In my opinion Ella Fitzgerald has one of the best voices in musical history.  I don't think many people would disagree with that statement but if you do, we can settle this by the jungle gym after school, I will fight you, I'll fucking bite you, shout out to the atrocity that was Puffy and the Godzilla Soundtrack

When I think of perfection from a female vocalist she is right up there at the top of the list, almost the opposite of how I rank Puffy and lyricists.  It was one of the purest, most captivating voices ever.  She exuded class as she waltzed over Louis Armstrong's trumpets, scatted alongside Chick Webb and his Orchestra's big band medleys.  An orchestra that also featured a notable fellow member, in the person of Louis Jordan who I also adore.  But that's another post.  Ella put in work with the best musicians of her time, and she done did it well.  You could say she, "Kept doing it, and doing it, and doing it well" but that would be weird and give me chapped lips from licking them too much, so you shouldn't say that.  With a recording career that spanned 59 years and snagged her 14 Grammy wins, it's hard to pick favorites from her abundance of quality material.  Her interpretations of songs are frequently my favorites in song battles, how can you resist the lull of her siren song, the cleanliness of each note?  It's utterly mesmerizing stuff that just soothes and relaxes.  It makes me think of coffee shops, hammocks, lazy, happy days, enjoying the sun.  Timeless and iconic performances by one of the best that ever did it.  I salute you Ella, R.I.P. and thank you for sharing your voice with us. Some of my favorites below.

Ella Fitzgerald- Paper Moon


Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong- Summertime


Ella Fitzgerald- Let's Do It


Ella Fitzgerald- Someone to Watch Over Me


Ella Fitzgerald- Blue Skies

1 comment:

  1. as a huge ella fitzgerald fan, i tip my hat to a beautiful voice and a timeless singer. just straight up smooth.

    ReplyDelete