Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tupac It's Your Birthday

Tupac it's your birthday, Happy Birthday Tupac. *grabs animated crotch* Like there is any other kind of crotch, Am I right? *Wink*

Cheers to the man responsible for my present day closet being full of leather overalls, what worked for him works for me...right?  I will take your silence as approval.  I know when you look at me you automatically think, "Thug Life."  Well just like there is much more to me than that, there was much more to Tupac Shakur. Did you know that he attended the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied acting, poetry, jazz, and ballet?  Or that he performed in Shakespeare plays and as the Mouse King in The Nutcracker?  That his family life was full of political activism, revolutionaries, and criminals?

He was a complicated man, who was cast as the personification of violence in hip hop, of rap music gone bad.  He wasn't perfect but he was a gifted artist.  He had flow, and a poetic thread that wove throughout his songs.  I always respected Tupac for writing songs and not couplets.  They were complete verses, they didn't jump from one subject to the other just pairing two sentences of rhymes together.  He crafted them as a whole and I feel like that skill is not as prominent with the hip hop artists today.  They do punchlines he did songs.  He filled the check boxes for me when I was younger, nice flow, good voice, nice rhymes, great delivery, and subject matter that really touched on the issues I was dealing with in my upper middle class home...hmmm.

Even if he wasn't speaking to me he had me interested in the topics he covered. Dude wrote the party jams and the serious shit and he did it with undeniable skill.  Happy birthday 2pac.

2pac Ambitionz Az A Ridah

No comments:

Post a Comment