Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Upcoming Shows

You guys took my previous advice and went to the Insane Clown Posse show right?  How was it?  Did you guys figure out how magnets work?

















Well I hope you enjoyed yourselves. I only went to one show out of the many that were posted...and no it wasn't the Wondergirls one. I saw Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings at the Warfield and it was awesome.  The Dap Kings are seriously one of the greatest live bands ever.  The Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings concert experience is at the top of my list for quality shows.  Sharon has way too much energy for being in her 50's, she never misses a note, she belts everything out with so much skill it's unbelievable, and she can get down with a James Brownsian flare that will put anyone to shame.  You add this together with the solid backing of the Dap Kings and you have one of the best concerts I have ever been to.  Look, Zumbi from Zion-I and his twitter agree with me.

"The DapKings r the tightest band Ive ever seen live. Slick. http://yfrog.com/0kqodj."  

We were actually standing right next to him when he tweeted this but I didn't want to bother him, or creep him out by whispering, "I love your band," in his ear.  I will say this though, that dude is a gentleman, he was carrying his girl's purse for her and he went to go get her a bottle of water.  That's a keeper, I make girls carry everything for me, even my keys, because I don't like the way they rub against my delicate legs when they are in my pocket.  Plus it's easier for them to hand and then light me a cigarette when they already have that stuff in their possession.  All I have to do is snap, it's easier for everyone that way.  


Onto business.  Shows you should go to and creepily watch someone tweet at behind the jump.


The Fox Theater

Saturday,
July 31 at The Fox Theater in Oakland
Black Star Black Star
feat. Mos Def & Talib Kweli

Zion-I
show
8:00PM


Hey Look who it is, It's Zion-I and look who they are opening for, Blackstar!!!  Damn if I was not jetting off to a tropical location at this time I would so be there.  Zion-I puts on a solid hip hop show, they are responsible for some of the most hyped, head noddingest shows that I have ever been to.  You pair that up with Kweli and Mos and you have an overabundance of awesome.  Tickets are kind of money at $41.50 plus service charges but it should be a solid show.  I have never seen Mos and Talib together, I have seen them at the same venue doing the same songs and they never came out together.  This is one of the most legendary acts for us that came up listening to underground back in the day and seriously it shouldn't be missed.  Hurry up and buy!!



Thursday,
September 23
The 
xx The xx
Warpaint
show
8:00PM
Oh man the XX and Warpaint??!!  Tickets are $25 plus service charges.  I posted a sample of Warpaint's cover of, "My Guy" which is actually called, "Billie Holiday" here.  It switches to the cover in the middle, maybe their way of hiding it so they don't have to pay for it's usage?  The XX is solid as well.  Buy tickets here.


Thursday,
September 30
The Black Keys 2nd Show Added by Popular Demand!
The Black Keys

Nicole Atkins
show
8:00PM
The Black Keys can be seen for $32.50 plus service charges, buy tickets here.



The Filmore
Jeffro's loves, The Local Natives, who he posted about here.   Are coming to town on Wednesday, September 22.  Doors open at  8:00 PM and tickets are $20 plus charges.  I had two Local Natives songs on my upcoming indie mix, but I think one got bumped to the next mix due to lack of space.  I am not willing to have  10,000 of their babies like Jeffro but I think it will be a great show.  Purchase tickets here.



The Dirty Projectors have a show on Saturday, September 25th.  Doors open at 9:00, that should give you enough time to wiggle into your skinny jeans and grow an ironic mustache right?  Tickets are $25 here.















The Morning Benders are a bay area band from Berkeley, who I was just introduced to by a certain someone, thank you kindly.  When I first heard them I thought it was some Frankie Valli style 50's shit.  I was surprised that it was A) modern B) from the Bay Area and C) Fronted by a hapa named Chris Chu who graduated from Berkeley in 2007.  Below is the video for the song that made me a fan, this will also be on the next indie mix.  I feel like I am way late on these guys, their name sounded familiar but I never checked them out until recently.  I will make it up to them by going to the show and not flashing them.  They lucked out this time.  Next time I release the Krakken.

Yours Truly Presents: The Morning Benders "Excuses" from Yours Truly on Vimeo.
They will be at the Filmore Sat, Oct 16 and doors open at 9:00.  Tickets are only $20 plus evil charges and can be purchased here.



The Great American Music Hall


Au Revoir Simone, who got their name from a Pee Wee Herman movie, are coming to town July 10, tickets are $19 and doors open at 8:00.  This trio of ladies are the reason that I have yes homo mixes.  They exemplify that airy, pretty, pop music that I guiltily listen to while doing my nails or flipping through Cosmo.  They are soothing, sleep inducing, pixie stix in the form of sound.  Grab tickets here
.





Bottom of The Hill

Damien Jurado who was posted about here will be rocking the Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco, on July 2nd.  Tickets are $12, doors open at 8:30 and you can get tickets here.








 Phosphorescent can be seen at The Bottom of The Hill on Wednesday, July 28th, for $12.  Tickets here.  This song will be on the upcoming Indie mix.

Phosphorescent "A Picture of Our Torn Up Praise" from The Friends of Friends on Vimeo.




The Do, who are on the next, next, indie mix, if they make the cut.  Will be in town Tuesday, September 21st.  Tickets are $15 and can be purchased here.

The Do - Stay from THE DO on Vimeo.

The next indie mix is complete, I just need to zip it up, sequence it, and post it...we'll see how long that takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment