Monday, August 9, 2010

Coming Soon

The next soul mix is ready to go. But I should probably let the current one marinate for awhile. The sudden deluge of content may frighten some. In the meantime here is some stuff that will be on the mix.

I listened to the coverville podcast today. Which featured Oliver Wang of Soul SidesCoverville has an awesome site to accompany their great podcast so I recommend taking a look if you don't already frequent their site.  You will learn things over there, plus it's free.  Who doesn't like cover songs?

This episode was especially awesome because it was with Oliver Wang, the man who's life and musical knowledge I envy with such great intensity I have a court ordered 25 foot rule.  He can still hear me though so it's ok, I just miss our hugs sometimes.  Anyway here are two of the tracks that he played that I threw on this mix.

First up, Dandy Livingstone with his reggae massaged cover of the song made most famous by James and Bobby Purify, "I'm Your Puppet."


















 Dandy Livingstone- I'm Your Puppet



I thought this song was amazing when I heard it on the podcast. It's Betty Chung with her cover of Sonny and Cher's, "Bang Bang." Perhaps most recognizable as the song from Kill Bill that Nancy Sinatra sang.  The backing track on this is so good.  It also happens to be in Mandarin, but was recorded in HK.  Who knew there were bands getting down like that in HK?















Betty Chung- Bang Bang



There happen to be a lot of covers on this mix.  A Johnny Nash version of Sam Cooke's, "Cupid."  A reggae take on, Smokey and the Miracle's, "I Second That Emotion."  A Cambodian version of "Wooly Bully" called "Wooly Polly."  The Hot 8 Brass Band's cover of Marvin's, "Sexual Healing."

The Hot 8 Brass Band- Sexual Healing (Re-edit)


The Majestic Arrows, off of the Bandit label are also featured. The story of Bandit records is such a crazy story, it's almost unbelievable. Here is a small snippet about the label and founder, Arrow Brown.

"Founder and force behind the Bandit label, the mysterious, vaguely criminal Brown spent a decade running his entertainment empire from a ghetto commune he shared with a harem of lovers whose welfare checks funded his showbiz aspirations. Equally odd was Bandit's roster: a collection of friends and family like seven-year-old son Altyrone Deno Brown, daughter Tridia Brown's Majestic Arrows, and crooner Johnny Davis - the latter eventually thrown off a building to his death."


I highly recommend you read the entirety of the article which can be found here.  I first heard the Majestic Arrows as a sample on a Mixtape Talib Kweli had done with Madlib, called Liberation. I had no idea who they were and just randomly got this album and was surprised that this was on there.  Here is the Talib sample song and the original.

Talib Kweli- The Show (produced by Madlib)


The Majestic Arrows- The Magic Of Your Love


Expect the whole mix soon.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, i have been trying to either buy or download that Betty Chung track for months. Doh!

    ReplyDelete