Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ipod Shuffle: Blackout Edition

The whole neighborhood's power was out for several hours the other night.  I headed up to the roof with my ipod to relax and look out at the darkened quadrant that was my neighborhood.  I was only alone momentarily though, a meandering stream of neighbors soon made their way up to the roof as well.  There is quite a random smattering of characters that are housed in my building.  One piece of sample dialogue, "I was a freebase guy so I freebased it."  Alright, thanks for that Mr. building manager.  Once talk devolved into the correct way to deal with an addiction...boooring!!  I headed back inside.  I set up some candles, put the ipod on and just relaxed for awhile.

The only problems facing me were the facts that my ipod had super low battery life, and my phone had one bar on its battery.  So I couldn't text anyone, I was afraid it would die from extraneous use and I would need it for an alarm if the power didn't return before the morning.  My only viable option for entertainment was to ride my ipod into the ground, suck out whatever music I could from it before my entire apartment went back to the dark ages.  I should invest in a hand cranked record player.  So here is a small mix of what I listened to sitting around my candle lit apartment before my ipod died and I decided to damage my eyes by getting my Johnny Tremain on and reading by candlelight.

Grab the mix behind the jump.


My ipod at the present time is heavily loaded with Edith Piaf and Nat King Cole.  At one point I thought it was the best choice to get people's entire discographies.  It was simple, efficient, and greedy.  I now realize this is not necessary and the fact that 1 out of every 2 songs is either Nat King Cole or Edith Piaf, when I hit shuffle sort of angers me.  I know I shouldn't be angered by an abundance of music, especially when it's my fault but god damn you have a lot of songs Edith let some other people get their shine on.  

The same goes for you Nat.  Although when confronted with nothing besides music and candlelight you do tend to focus on the music more.  This heightened focus led me to both realize and be impressed by the Nat King Cole trio's ability to create a nice rhythm while lacking a drummer to really drive the beat home.  I was getting down to some air stand up bass though and you can belee dat.  *Yayo dance*

Here is what is on the rest of the mix:

1. James & Bobby Purify- I'm Your Puppet
2. Edith Piaf- Adieu Mon Coeur
3. Nat King Cole Trio- Pitchin' Up A Boogie
4. Ted Taylor- My Days & Nights Are So Bad
5. Sadina- It Comes And Goes
6. The Ex-Cel Five- Talk Is Cheap
7. Nat King Cole Trio- Give Me Twenty Nickels
8. Otis Redding- Day Tripper
9. Edith Piaf- Le Petit Homme 2
10. Edith Piaf- Hymne A L'Amour
11. Tommy Turner- I'll Be Gone
12. Rosemary Clooney- September Song (She sounds so old and bad on this song)
13. Dorothy Berry- You're So Fine
14. Frank Sinatra- I've Got The World On A String
15. Phil Ade- The Letter (previously featured on the last hip hop mix)


Download it:  Ipod Shuffle:  Blackout Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment