Monday, May 21, 2012

The Funky 17

Although I love funk/soul music, I rarely put together a mix as DJ Greybush and Jeffro Tull handle it so well that I usually just listen to their stuff. However, I finally pulled together some songs that have not appeared on their mixes (except 2 tracks, actually -- it's impossible to avoid!).  I started off with a kernel of newer stuff from Daptone Records (Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley) and elsewhere (Michael Kiwanuka [love him!], Alabama Shakes), then built up the rest of the mix with 60s and 70s soul (Curtis Mayfield, Buddy Miles, Sly & the Family Stone, etc.). Then I threw in D'Angelo. Yup. (Actually, I think his album "Voodoo" was the greatest soul album of the 90's).

Enjoy.

The Funky 17

1 comment:

  1. Alabama Shakes are goood. Give Allen Stone a listen as well.

    I think SK would agree with your D'Angelo assessment, and not just because of his Batman abs.

    ReplyDelete