Tuesday, May 15, 2012

R.I.P. Donald "Duck" Dunn

Duck, third from the left with Booker T. and the MG's.


















Too many R.I.P. posts going on around here.  I couldn't let this one go unmentioned even though it s a couple of days late.  Donald "Duck" Dunn passed away on Sunday in Tokyo, he was 70 years old.

Duck is on so many of my favorite songs.  As the bassist for the legendary Stax band he providing the backing rhythm on, "Try A Little Tenderness," "Green Onions," "Hold On I'm Coming," and countless other classics.  As part of the backing band that formed the foundation of Stax he was basically on all of the hits that came out of the Memphis label in their heyday.
 
The song, "last Night" was his first hit. The song was recorded by his band the Mar-Keys when they were still in high school.

Here he is with Booker T. and the MG's performing, "Green Onions."  This was one of the first instrumental tracks that I really liked.  You don't need words when you have a groove like this.

Here he is backing Otis Redding on the Stax/Volt European tour in 1967.

Below he performs, "Hang em High" in 1991 at the Standard in New York.

R.I.P. Duck, thanks for all of the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment