Friday, February 19, 2010

Hip Hop Mixes

My latest hip hop mixes have been all about the beats and the hooks. They have been hooker beat or beat hooker mixes if you want to phrase it in a weird unnerving way. The way to get me connected to a hip hop song is to use a soul sample. Kanye and I see to eye to eye on that front...and very little else. A soul sample or Preemo scractches are about the only hooks I approve of. I approve of Jake One, Ant, Exile, Just Blaze, Kno, 9th, Statik Selectah, Amp Live, 6th Sense, those are my type of producers, some soulful muthafuckas.

Choruses lose me, long winded modern R&B dudes make me tune out. I accept Nate Dogg, based on our history, but Akon and T-Pain can join the likes of Mario, or whoever else is the hot hook singer at the present moment and vamoose, they whack to me. Listen to Jay, "I don't need no hook for this biiiitch!!" Those are just the bare minimum requirements for me listening all the way through. I don't even like old west coast choruses, however blasphemous it may be, that shit just makes my ears seal themselves off and makes me want to hit skip on a track. Even some of the old Wu-Tang choruses bug me. I just feel they detract from the emcee and the beat. I just need a beat and a emcee, I don't need a R&B cat doing some Jodeci shit in between verses. Can't stand that whole genre or era of R&B.



















Anyway these tracks all made the cut. I think once you listen you will get a feeling for what I dig. Sometimes the mixes all sound like they were produced by the same dude. It's usually a soul sample, scratches or a short sample that is looped over and over. Features on this include: B.O.B., Asher Roth, Blu, Talib Kweli, Truck North, oh and check the Wu-Tang vs. Beatles mash-ups. I ignored that shit for a couple months or more, because seriously, enough with the mash-ups. It refused to go away though so I checked it out and it was actually really well done. So now it's your turn.

Hip Hop mix 1-14-10

No comments:

Post a Comment