Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hip Hop Mix 7

Do you think he is listening to hip hop?  He looks like a Westside Connection type of guy to me.  I can see him C-walking all over another bird's impala.  This nice little childlike slice of artistic goodness comes from Drake Brodahl and is up for grabs on his etsy.


Damn when I saw this video titled, "Double Dream Hands," posted as choreography to, "Planet Rock" I was praying to Zeus that it was the Afrikaa Bambaattaa song. I am sure someone has remixed it by now but the original is pretty noteworthy in its own right. "Now rock out, hand bursts, shoulder, shoulder, chin." It's a pretty amazing video. I just wish it related to the point of this post, hip hop music. How could I not share this though?

Sean Price is hip hop. If a song has a feature from the man formerly known as Ruck from Heltah Skeltah and Camp Lo, I pay attention. Dude drops gems on the regular and has been doing so for a long ass time. He appeals to both the underground heads and the crack rap fans. With street level stories presented in a perceptive intellectual Brownsville vernacular. Sean P's talent as an emcee is legendary. Here he is rocking Slim's in San Francisco at the Duckdown 15 anniversary show that I should have gone to.

Sean Price | LIVE in San Francisco 11.20.10 from Bosse Media on Vimeo.
"P!!" Here is a video promoting his 2007 mixtape, "Master P."

Last but not least, here is his video for, "Figure Four." This was supposedly on his "Kimbo Price" mixtape from 2009, but I can't find it on my track list. P has undeniable flow and his lyrics are refreshingly stripped of materialist braggadocio, "These are the words of a thousandaire," is kind of as real as it gets.  He will have a solid feature on one of the tracks on the mix. Grab that and the whole thing behind the jump.




Some more highlights from the mix. Lil Wayne rapping over the theme from the office. It's pretty genius.









Lil Wayne- Office Muzik


Another great mash-up comes from the initially ignored by me, more recently infatuated with, "Wu Tang versus The Beatles album."  I could seriously post the whole album it's so good.  There are actually three tracks from it on this mix and they are all top notch.  Check out what happens when the album tackles, Big Baby Jesus', "Baby I Got Your Money."


Wu Tang Vs. The Beatles- Baby I got Your Money


Here is the whole tracklist:
 
1. Blue Scholars- Big Bank Hank (These guys from Seattle are the exact kind of Hip Hop I like, that jazzy throwback style is unbeatable."
2. J. Cole featuring Omen & Fashawn- Relaxation (J. Cole and Fashawn are two dudes getting commercial looks and that I can stand behind as legitimate lyricists and artists.)
3. Elzhi- Undefeated (freestyle)  (Formerly of Slum Village, now working with the Detroit elite, getting down the the likes of Black Milk and Guilty Simpson, this man is no joke.)
4. Black Milk- Don Cornelius (Speaking of Detroit elite, Black Milk is tops in my book.)
5. Kno featuring Natti & Substantial- When I Was Young (Cunninlynguist beatmaker and one of my all time favorite producers just dropped his solo album which is worth checking out.)
6. Zion-I featuring Rebelution- Many Stylez (Constants in my rotation and my speakers, these guys just keep going and producing great music.)
7. Atmosphere- Hope (College throwbacks, enemies of the crack rap fans, let their bleeding hearts infect your ears and swoon for the almighty Slug.)
8. Swollen Members- Fresh Air (People hate on Swollen, but there are certain reasons that they can be defended to any hip hop purist.  1. Madchild is a certified Rocksteady representative, 2. They own and operate their own label, 3. They do songs with made for strip clubs...hmm yeah, the majority of their latest album is pretty bad, leaning towatds BEP style club jawns but this song was acceptable and I have a soft spot for groups that harken back to my college days.)
9. Wu Tang Vs. The Beatles- Baby I Got Your Money
10. The Dopplegangaz- La La La (Great throwback sound)
11. Kid Cudi featuring Chip Tha Rippa- All Talk (Kind of weird, but I didn't hate it.)
12. J. Cole- Higher (Seriouslym he is good.  Good signing J, Rocnation represent.)
13. Sean Price & Eddie B- Stop It (Really it's all about Sean, the rest of the song is not that awesome.)
14. Shaya featuring Mega Mills and Turthlive- Welcome (Local cats, not bad production, really feeling the horns.)
15. The Dopplegangaz- Oddly Sour
16. Chief featuring Guilty Simpson and Wreckonize- I Can't Stand It
17. Reks- This Or That
18. Truthlive- Ready Set Go (More from Truthlive, repping the Bay.  His production is not underground sounding, good job.)
19. Jakk Frost- Don't You Ever Take It Back
20. J. Cole Vilematic
21. Wu Tang Vs. The Beatles- Save Me Dear
22. Pharcyde/Biz Markie- Passin' Me By (O-dub mashup, two classics that blend surprising well.)
23. Lil Wayne- Office Musik (Clockwork edit)
24. Wu Tang Vs. The Beatles- Smith Bros (I really love this song, it's so short but I think it's great.)
25. The Niceguys- Good Shepard
26. Ayomari featuring Tiron- Everything Is Going Fine


Grab the Mix below:

Hip Hop Mix 7

No comments:

Post a Comment