Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Indie Mix 7

"United States" by Rueben Rude. From his current show at Thinkspace Gallery.

I like Rueben Rude's stuff. He shows a lot at Fabric8 on Valencia, a local artist supporting a local gallery, that's always nice. I have pined for one of his pieces for a long time and I was impressed with the current body of work he put out for his current solo show. The show, titled "Place to Place," is currently at Thinkspace Gallery, in L.A. To view the show online click the link in the caption. Really good work, always liked his style.

"Awhile"

One more piece and an indie mix behind the jump. Follow meeee. *Waves hands and skips ahead*

"Safe"...I don't really need to caption these do I?
I was talking to a friend the other day...wait, whispering inaudibly to your mailman counts as talking to a friend right? Thought so, we were talking about the label of Indie. I realized that my notion of indie music is pretty fluid. The mixes take stuff from Chillwave, lo-fi, electronic, folk, new country, gay 80's dance beats, pop, a sprinkle of punk, I mean it's a pretty broad term and this creates pretty broad mixes. I am not sure what your favorite sub-genre of my, made up blanket genre of indie is, so I apologize if you don't like thumping drum machines churning out hot buttered disco burners with vocals by high pitched shaman. But if you want your sad, harmonizing, beard having, organic farmers, to sing you those sweet mangina folksy lullabies then you have to be willing to roll with the disco, diversity, sparkle train, to Boomtown, where I am the Mayor.  Grab the mix here. if you don't like words.

Crafty craftsmen of songs, The Morning Benders.
Illustration of, We Are Tree's, "Boyfriend EP."
The first song is a live track by the Morning Benders, called "Virgins."  They are awesome live, they really know how to perform. The Morning Benders have so many things to like.  I like them for their impressive ability to perform live but also for the purely technical things they do well. I really appreciate their ability to construct a song. They make smart choices in song structure, execution, instrumentation, layering and then they add good lyrics and the register they choose to sing in is always spot on. I just appreciate the crafting of a good song, the things they had to do to achieve that perfect end product.  Thank you for choosing music as a profession, you guys are quite good at your job. It's really an impressive feat. Next up is We Are Trees. I could go on about their song constructing abilities but let's just say I liked the cut of their jib on this one.  I must be a sucker for harmonizing and layering.  Here is the video for the song, that was previously posted as eye candy.


Gamble House came flooding into my earphones one night while I was on the roof with their song, "Bonny Doon."  It's about the Bonny Doon, nature reserve in Northern California and it gets across that relaxed sublime feeling of nature.  Add it to the well crafted list.


Yellow Ostrich, who I thought was one guy and just found out was three people, will be coming to town at the end of the month. On Saturday, March 26th, they will be at the Bottom of The Hill with Say Hi, and Blair. Get tickets here. I don't really know that much of their original music, but they have excellent taste in covers. This mix has two covers they did. The first one is, "Zebra" by Beach House, and the second one is, "King of Spain" by The Tallest Man On Earth. I love Beach House, "Teen Dream" was a solid album all the way through, making it one of my favorites from last year. The Tallest Man on Earth, is sometimes hard for me to listen to. I feel like he is in the Bob Dylan mold of great song writer, with a polarizing vocal styling. Let's just hope he doesn't make a Christmas album.

"Yo, for me for you for me dawg, you didn't really make it your own. I don't care though because I loved the original, your going to Boomtown!!!"

Remember that discussion about how broad these mixes are? Here are some songs from the rocky section.

Check out Woozy Viper's song, "You Can't Find Me" on the always awesome Everybody Taste Blog. Favorite lyrics, "You won't catch me looking pretty with no skinny jeans on, you won't see me in the club dancing all wrong, you won't find me with the feds dropping no dimes."


I also really love this song by, That Ghost- To Like You.



Tracklist
1. The Morning Benders- Virgins (Live)
2. We Are Trees- Sunrise Sunset
3. Gamble House- Bonny Doon
4. Yellow Ostrich- Zebra (Beach House)
5. Dirty Gold- California Sunrise
6. Yellow Ostrich- King of Spain (The Tallest Man On Earth cover)
7. Herzog- Abandon Love
8. White Denim- New Coat
9. Generationals- Trust
10. Love Lake- Curses
11. Ted Leo- Union City Blues (Blondie cover)
12. Walter Meego- Starlight
13. J Roddy Walston and the Business- I Don't Wanna Hear It
14. Woozy Viper- You Can't Find Me
15. Tennis- Marathon
16. Braids- Plath Heart
17. That Ghost- To Like You
18. Beach House- I Do Not Care For the Winter Sun
19. TV Girl- If You Want It (You Got It)
20. W-H-I-T-E- Fountain
21. Jai Paul- BTSTU
22. The Black Keys- Everlasting Light (Mummers remix)

Indie Mix 7

No comments:

Post a Comment