Monday, November 21, 2011

That's what the She's said

I know, I know, it's been awhile, does that mean that we can't just immediately get back to business? In the words of my life coach, can we not just go, "straight to third?" When he says it isn't even a question but more of a proclamation of intent that you really have no choice in, he says those words and his hand is already...sorry that's not what this post is about. Or is it? *Keith Morrison voice*

While I have been away I have not been without music. We have hippy drum circles at occupy. Tear gas canisters make a terrible percussion sound when bounced off of a peaceful protester's head. The tinkling of urine in our hobo encampment is like softly raking a cymbal. We chant, we sing, we unify!!! Shattered glass and shaking spray cans are the music of my revolution!!!...I totally wasn't at occupy, I did get some new video games though so you can draw your own conclusions as to where I have been. Arkham city!!! *Flourishes cape and spills coffee mug*

Now this is where the post could have began. We went to see Thao and the Get Down Stay Down at the Great American Music Hall.  This was at the tail end of a crazy weekend.  Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Jeffro!!  The opening band for Thao was, The She's. They were awesome and adorable. Check out their myspace here.

 The group consists of Sami Perez, Hannah Valente, Eva Treadway, and Sinclair Riley. The crazy thing is that all of them are about sixteen years old. Apparently they have been playing together since mid-elementary school. They site influences like, the Morning Benders, the Donnas, Beach Boys, and Girls, which proves they are way cooler than you when you were a sixteen year old. I think when I was sixteen despite all my rage I was still just a rat in a cage or I was waking up in the morning and stepping outside taking a big breath and getting real high, or was that middle school?
What's going on?  My name is Mystery, I'm here to talk about kino-escalation and bouncing.  Everyone creepy as shit?  Good.  Everyone have their goggles?  Good.  Let's do this, you like magic, guuurl?

It doesn't really matter, what does matter is how great these girls were.  Thanks to Sami’s years of experience in the SF Girls Chorus they have awesome vocal harmonies. They are like a more alive Mountain man on surfboards with more instrumentation. They kind of remind me of Tennis, Best Coast, or The Ronettes and that's not a bad thing.  60's influenced girl pop, which is a pretty close approximation of the most perfect word combination for my musical leanings and interests. Their stage banter was so great too, they were seriously adorable, and I don't use that word a lot, I stopped after that incident at that Biker bar, what? It was an adorable lazy eye.
The She's at The Great American Music Hall

They were just so happy to be there on stage and they made you instantly happy to be there with them. Thao said she saw them at the Noe Valley farmer's market which in itself is fucking adorable. *Thao smells the kale, music drifts above the arugula and past the artisan falafel maker, her ears perk up* "You there!! Awesome band full of bad assery and happiness inducing musical skills, you are coming with me!!" *They all ride off on an extra long horse* I am pretty sure that's how it went.

At the end of their set I bought a copy of their ep from one of their mothers, literally, no joke, how great is that?  Check out their Myspace for samples of their music. They are really talented musicians and a solid band. They have a great knack for song arrangement and structure. Here is there video for, "Running."

If you would like to see them in person, SK and I will be going to their record release party at the Bottom of the Hill on Saturday Dec. 3rd. They are playing with Tijuana Panthers and Melted Toys. Grab your tickets for $10 here

No comments:

Post a Comment