Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Mix

I used to hate Christmas music, but the older I get, the more I like it (ergo the sappier I get, I guess). I did one last year that was all over the place in terms of style, era, etc., so this year I'm taking a more conservative approach. Although there are a few songs you probably have never heard (e.g. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, "Ain't No Chimneys in the Projects"), the bulk of them are either total classics (e.g. Bing Crosby's "White Christmas") or more obscure versions of traditional tunes (e.g. Mayer Hawthorne's "Christmas Time is Here").

My primary goal was to make it playable for the whole family, but not totally predictable/cheesy. The last song, "A Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues, is perhaps the only exception insofar as it's a bit R-rated (look out for the f-bomb that rhymes with 'maggot') and bleak, but it's that special brand of tragicomedy that the Irish do so well (in fact, this song is the #1 song played on the radio in Ireland at Christmas time, f-bomb included), and I find its bleak realism strangely uplifting.

Enjoy!

Christmas Mix 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment