Friday, August 12, 2011

Hip Hop Mix 10

Feeling this shirt so much I accosted a dude on the bus (no homo) to find out where he got it. This isn't where he got it, but you can get Exact Science shirts at one of my favorite online music/clothing spots, the Giant Peach.
Another sample of Exact Science's T-shirt line.
Grab the mix here or hit the jump for samples and the whole tracklist.


This mix starts off with the Jay-z/Kanye song that samples Otis Redding's version of, "Try a Little Tenderness" that was mentioned in this post. It's followed by some nice soulful, summery jams. The Azure' song discussed in this Eye candy post finally makes an appearance.

Still loving that track. So soulful don't you agree?

 There is an awesome mash up by Ha! Yes of Biggie and The XX called, "A Juicy Intro" that is worth the download click alone. Check out his main site here. I can't find an embeddable version so you can go directly to this post and listen to the track. The Ha! Yes mashup is not to be confused with another XX and Biggie mashup album that came out last year by by Wait What. Wait What used VCR as the background for Juicy. I am a fan of both, but lean towards the Ha! Yes version. You can check out the Wait What version that isn't on the mix below and if you are interested you can download the whole mash up album called, The Notorious XX here.

juicy-r [the notorious b.i.g.'s juicy vs. the xx's vcr] - wait what (mashup) from wait what on Vimeo.
STS aka Sugar Tongue Slim puts it down on the track, STSisGold. It loops a nice sample from indie band Phantogram’s song, "When I’m Small." STS is rapid fire with some bravado on this, definitely making a name for himself as an emcee. I'll be checking for him from now on.


I am not sure if you know how I feel about R&B and R&B choruses in hip ho songs. In case you don't know, I am not a fan. Maybe this chorus sounds more poppy than R&B like and that's why it doesn't bug me as much. The fact that Lupe and Black Though assist on the verses doesn't hurt. Check it out below.


This song does have that sort of R&B chorus that I don't like but I am a fan of Asher's wordplay. I am not sure if I Should be ashamed of that or not.


The Mayer Hawthorne sample heavy song from Fly Union and Dom Kennedy is on this mix. It was the focus of this post before. I'll repost the video below was well.


Tracklist:
1. Jay-z and Kanye West- Otis
2. Asher Roth feat. Quan- Summertime
3. Azure'- As The Glove Spins
4. Fly Union feat. Dom Kennedy- Like That
5. Kidz In The Hall feat. Tabi Bonney & One Chance- Stare
6. J. Cole feat. Wale- You Got It
7. Dom Kennedy- I Hate Summers
8. Tek of Smif N Wessun- Toast To the Good Life (prod. by Statik Selektah)
9. Wale feat. Big Sean and B.O.B.- First Class
10. Mac Miller feat. Talib Kweli- Family First
11. AZ- The Calm (prod. by Statik Selectah)
12. Saigon- Greatest Story Never Told (prod. by Just Blaze)
13. Geechi Suede feat. Rapper Big Pooh- Booming System
14. Freddie Gibbs feat. Daz- Rap Money (prod. by Statik Selectah)
15. Notorious B.I.G. vs. The XX- A Juicy intro (Ha! Yes remix)
16. STS- STSisGOLD
17. Nikki Jean feat. Black Thought & Lupe Fiasco- Million Star Hotel
18. J. Cole- Before I'm Gone
19. Childish Gambino- Freaks and Geeks
20. Sean Price- Snow remix
21. The Cool Kids feat. Ghostface Killah- Penny Hardaway
22. Raekwon feat. Nas- Rich and Black
23. Adam WarRock- Havok

Hip Hop Mix 10

No comments:

Post a Comment